Monday, July 25, 2016

Favorite Places in Flagstaff, Arizona

UPDATED 11/2/2017: Yes, I know, I live here and I have yet to post my favorite places in Flagstaff. But since I'm on the road about 200 days a year, I guess that's to be expected! Lately, I've crossed paths with a few people from other communities asking for my recommendations in Flagstaff, so here they are!

Restaurants
126 W Cottage Ave
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Formerly The Cottage Place, this is a reboot by Chef Scott Heinonen, my favorite chef in Flagstaff. Delicious French bistro food, impeccable service, and a lovely setting. Definitely the place to go for a special occasion.

107 N San Francisco St #2
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Chefs Joe and Dara have created a lively little restaurant focusing on flavorful and beautifully plated tapas-like dishes.

16 N San Francisco St
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
A Latin American inspired menu with really good tostones (crispy, twice fried plantains) and huevos con carne. I also like the jalapeno burger. 

Tinderbox Kitchen
34 S. San Francisco
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
My (out of date) review is here. They have three properties--Tinderbox Kitchen is a small, higher end dining room, The Annex is a creative cocktail bar, and the Tourist Home Urban Market is a breakfast/lunch place. General Manager Kevin Heinonen and his team are a very dedicated team!

6 E Route 66
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
This is a higher end sushi place, kind of Scottsdale meets Flagstaff. In addition to sushi, I go for the tonkotsu ramen.

1312 S Plaza Way
Flagstaff AZ 86001
This is more functional sushi--not much atmosphere, but solid food and service, easier parking and a bit cheaper. This is our family night sushi.

2308 E Route 66
Flagstaff AZ 86004
Neopolitan style pizza from a wood burning oven and good pastas. John Conley, the chef-owner, is also an all around great guy!

2320 N 4th St
Flagstaff AZ 86004
Great brisket and pulled pork, but in reality, I go for the tater tots. No, that's an exaggeration, but the tots are incredibly good.

112 E Route 66
Flagstaff AZ 86001
Go for the chilaquiles. Be prepared to wait in line.

And because I have the space...
Attractions
1400 W Mars Hill Rd
Flagstaff AZ 86001
Where Pluto was discovered! Check out the restored Clark Telescope. Open both day and night--I suggest doing both if you have time. I adore this place, and it's not just because I used to work there. It speaks to my nerdiness.

Lots of activities here in the summer, and a great educational place to learn about native plants.

Good way to get a sense for the indigenous cultures of the region.

Out of town attractions
We have four national parks within easy driving distance: Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, Wupatki and the Grand Canyon, of course. Get an Interagency Annual Pass and you'll get your money's worth right away.

Scenic railroad to the Canyon--worth doing at least once.

Sedona is also about 45 minutes away.



This post first appeared on the Alice's Restaurants blog.