Sunday, January 1, 2012

La Sauvagine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

The perfect little restaurant for my Montreal experience in 2011 was La Sauvagine, located in Old Montreal. This restaurant is located on the corner of Rue St Paul Est and St-Vincent, and we were lucky enough to snag a corner table by the window for some great people watching.


Experience
We visited this restaurant on a whim on our last full day in Montreal at the end of a conference. Before I left, I wanted to go to a place that felt like Quebec and La Sauvagine did not disappoint. My capacity to speak French is almost nonexistent, yet the staff were very patient with my attempts. Good news is that I speak "Menu" in many languages, so my selection process was not difficult!


Cuisine
My business partner and travel buddy, Jim Anderson (also known as my "work spouse") and I had a leisurely (read: long!) meal of the following:

Escargot with Phyllo/Croustillant d'escargots



Terrine of Game (Wild Boar)/Terrine de gibier
Mussels and Fries/Moules Frites
Lobster in Port and Mushrooms (close up)
Lobster in Port and Mushrooms (full dish)/homard dans le port et les champignons
Cheese Plate/plateau de fromages
Booze
La Sauvagine has a short but practical wine list, offering very affordable options. Our first choice wine was not available, but the server brought a pleasant red to substitute which was well within our price point and delicious. I wish I had written down what it was!

Summary
Not too far off the beaten path, this neighborhood restaurant is a treat. I would go back in an instant.

from tourisme-montreal.org: my table is in the
back of this photo by the double windows
Location
La Sauvagine
115 Rue Saint Paul Est
Montreal, QC H2Y 1G7
Canada


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment